Young Adult Services
Blue Earth, Brown, Faribault, Le Sueur, Martin, Nicollet, Sibley, Waseca, and Watonwan counties
Young adults ages 16-24 who
MVAC serves young adults to help them achieve their educational and training goals.
We do this through:
- Support for finishing high school or getting a GED
- Possible financial supports
- Connections, resources and problem solving
- Interest and Skills Assessment
- Find what you’re good at, what you enjoy and how careers fit those skills/interests
- Develop and put into action an education plan
- Explore options for after high school/GED
- Work, school, training, apprenticeship
Work Skills: Learn to…
- Fill out job applications
- Write resumes and cover letters
- Interview like a professional
- Write follow-up letter and thank you notes
- Develop professional work habits employers expect
- 12 week PAID work experience
- Research the labor market to make informed career choices
- Decide on a career
- Budget money and manage your finances
- Problem solve transportation issues
- Use other community resources
Opportunities after High School/GED
- Enter advance training or certificate program
- Ex: Welding, nursing assistant, 2 year degree
- Straight into the work force
- Land a full-time job
- Find an apprenticeship
- Ex: Electrician, carpenter, ironworker
MVAC/Martin County Internship Program
- Young adults ages 18-24.
- Be a resident of Martin County.
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S.
- Must be in good academic standing at your chosen college.
- Can be enrolled in a community college or 4 year college.
- Purpose: Paid internship program to develop skills and learn about career opportunities in Martin County.
- Process: Student will complete a short term paid work experience/internship in a Martin County business.
Once you are selected for the Martin County Internship Program
- Your career interests will be matched with that of a Martin County business.
- You will interview at a business for acceptance into the work experience/internship.
- If accepted, an orientation will be completed and you will work with the new employer to develop the job duties and performance standards.
- Participants will gain valuable experience at a Martin County business.
- Participants will gain insight into the leadership and career possibilities in Martin County.
- Successful completion of internship will result in legitimate work experience for your resume.
- Earn possible college credits for the experience gained during your internship, with approval of your college and/or advisor.
Minnesota Valley Action Council
400 S. State St. Suite 180
Fairmont, MN 56031