Homeless Prevention Program
MVAC IS NOT A SHELTER.
MVAC’S HOMELESS PREVENTION FUNDS CANNOT PAY FOR TEMPORARY HOUSING (HOTELS).
MVAC assists individuals and families with problem solving assistance to resolve their crisis. This can include assessment of strengths and needs; resource referrals; advocacy with landlords, resource providers, and follow-up services.
Funds are available to help households and can be used for rent and other housing expenses.
- Assist persons who are homeless or doubled up find and maintain permanent housing
- Stabilize persons at-risk of losing their housing in their current home or re-house without a day of homelessness
Blue Earth, Brown, Faribault, Le Sueur, Martin, Nicollet, Sibley, Waseca, and Watonwan counties.
Requirements for financial assistance
• Income eligible (at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guideline)
• Homeless, doubled up or at imminent risk of losing housing with a crisis document
• Minnesota resident residing in, or willing to reside in our 9-county area
• Unable to resolve crisis on own or with other agencies’ resources
• MVAC must be able to fully resolve crisis
• Literally Homeless households must be received as referrals through Coordinated Entry
• At-risk and doubled up households are assessed to determine likelihood the household will become literally homeless without assistance
• Willingness to participate in case management services